Why a Healing Ministry?
Jesus modelled a healing ministry. The New Testament records his healing of a man with leprosy, the centurion’s servant, Peter’s
mother-in-law, a paralysed man, a woman
with haemorrhages, two blind men, a crippled woman, a deaf man with a speech impediment, and many others.
Jesus also instructed his disciple to teach and heal.
“Jesus called the twelve together and gave
them power and authority….and sent them
out to heal.” Luke 9:1-2
The Mission of the Healing Ministry within the United Church of Canada is:
*to renew the Church’s role in healing
*to reach out to those in need of healing in body, mind and spirit
A Healing Ministry within the Christian community is an expression of love and compassion for those who are in need of Healing of any kind.
Christian healing is described as a gift given
to all, rather than a special gift of only a few. Anyone can act as a healing presence, if that
is their intention.
The Healing Ministry at
Pacific Spirit United
Volunteer practitioners meet regularly for practice. Healing Sessions are offered to members of the Congregation and the wider community in person or by distance.
All healing sessions are conducted with respect for each individual - physical, emotional, mental and spiritual. All aspects of each session are held in strict confidence.
A certified healing practitioner acts as a mentor to volunteer practitioners, all of whom have completed one or more courses in healing energy work from a qualified instructor.
Pacific Spirit United Church is a member of the Healing Pathways Program founded in 1993.
Volunteer practitioners share their gifts of healing freely. There is no charge. Should you wish to make a donation to this ministry please contact the Church office.
For more information, or to book a Healing Pathway session, please contact the Church office between 9am and 1pm weekdays at
HEALING PATHWAY MINISTRY
Pacific Spirit United Church
2195 W. 45th. Avenue
(corner of W. 45th & Yew)
What is Healing
Healing ministry celebrates the ancient art of “Hands-on-Healing” that is portrayed in both the Hebrew Scriptures and the Christian New Testament.
“Hands-on-Healing” is an energy-based approach to healing, working with the energy fields that surround each person. “Hands-on-Healing” can effect changes in the energy balance. These changes can be experienced on a physical, mental, emotional and/or spiritual level.
The goal of Healing Ministry is to restore harmony and balance to the body, mind and spirit and to allow the person to move towards further healing by awakening the body’s own healing powers.
What do we mean by Healing?
Healing is a process guided by God to restore balance and wholeness of body, mind and spirit, not only within the individual but also within relationships, community and creation.
* The Healing Pathway is designed to train and mentor people who wish to develop the gift and skill of healing hands within the Christian tradition.
*Strengthening the immune system
*Increasing a sense of well-being
* Reducing pain
* Managing stress
* Speeding healing of tissues and bones
“Hands-on-healing” complements but is not a substitute for traditional approaches to health and healing.
Healing does not necessarily mean cure.
Hands on Healing is:
* Natural and gentle
What is it like to receive A Healing?
* First you meet and talk with the Healing Ministry practitioners. (Within the United Church community this work is usually done in pairs.) This is a time for you to explain your health concerns and for the practitioners to outline how they plan to offer healing.
* Hands-on-Healing is done with you fully clothed and either seated on a straight-back chair or lying on a padded Healing Touch table.
* The practitioners will work with the energy around your body by moving their hands in gentle motions. If you are comfortable being touched, and have given your permission, Healing may also involve light touching.
* Your role is to relax and be open to healing. You may wish to ask questions during the session or to share what you are experiencing.
You are “in charge” of the session. At any time, you can ask that the session be interrupted or stopped.
A session usually lasts 20-30 minutes.
After the session is finished, you may wish to ask more questions or to reflect on your experience.
Healing continues after your session is over. You are encouraged to drink several glasses of water and rest immediately following a session.